Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Just France

Get it? It's like the Lady Ga Ga song - "Just Dance," only I switched "Dance" with "France." I think Europe has made me funnier.

I'm having a pretty good time here in France. The language is coming back to me in full force, and I can have actual conversations now - not just order something at a restaurant or pay for something at the store.

Everyone's here now and classes have started. Having been here a week before everyone, I am one of a couple designated tour guides, so I've lead some expeditions to the electronics store and the housewares store. I've also introduced everyone possible to the glorious pastry world of France - specifically to Pain au Chocolate. Yes, it deserves to be capitalized. I could probably write an entire long blog about Pain au Chocolate. Maybe I will someday.

Classes here are much more serious and require a lot more attention and preparation than my classes in Spain. Which kind of sucks because I have a bunch of papers to write for my Spain classes, and they're all due within the next week.

It's kind of a weird juxtaposition. Everyone who is new to Europe is all excited and ready to go out partying every night. I've been here for almost 6 weeks (already!) and I'm mellow. I just want to hang out. I'm over the novelty of it. And I'm feeling a little stressed out by how much work this is turning out to be. In addition to all that, I'm homesick. I miss my husband. I miss my bed and my things. I miss US grocery stores. I miss Target.

Having said all of that, I am also really enjoying France. This is where I wanted to come most. I love Toulouse - it's a beautiful city. I didn't know until I'd been here a few days, but Toulouse is nicknamed "La Ville en Rose." It means "The Pink City." At night when the sun is setting, the entire sky is pink. The color in the bricks used around here mixed with normal sunset conditions makes the entire sky this dark pink that is so amazing. The architecture is amazing, and there are several really really old churches nearby. I think our school building was built in the 1600s. My school is older than the United States.

I love going out into the town and hearing people speak the language. I love that so many people sit in the park. In US parks there are a couple of benches here and there. Here the sidewalks in the parks are lined with benches. People love to just go relax and sit outside and enjoy the fresh air (even if it is sweltering), and the company of friends. No one is in a hurry - they want to enjoy life as much as possible. Americans want to enjoy life too - we just need to be stimulated constantly. Our enjoyment is in fast rides and extreme sports. When "relaxing," we need to be watching TV, online and listening to music all at once. The French don't need all of that.

Now, having said that, don't think I'm going back to the US and canceling my cable - no way! I'm losing it here without TV. I don't know what's happening in my favorite shows, I don't know what new shows are out, and I don't know what movies are out this summer. (I do know that Harry Potter is coming out in a week or so.)

All in all, I'm having a great time in France. I miss my husband and I miss my home, but I am soaking up France - much more so than Spain. Spain was pretty and interesting, but I didn't love Spanish culture or the Spanish atmosphere the way I love France. I may be predisposed to think that way because I speak French, and have been here before, but that's the way it is.

Bon Soir!

2 comments:

  1. ugh! i'm still jealous of you. i can't believe you're in france! i'm glad you're having a good time. speaking of la ville en rose...i really want to see la vie en rose! i can't believe i haven't yet. it's kind of a travesty. sacre bleu! haha. i hope you say that a lot in france. even though my french teacher told us that that phrase is kind of dated. but you should say it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried out "zut alors!" and I got a funny look. I also got a funny look for saying "bless you" in French (I don't know how to spell it, so I didn't write it out). Actually, now that I think of it I've been getting a lot of funny looks. But I'll still try your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete